Thursday, April 03, 2008

Wise words indeed...

As ever, Joe Saward of grandprix.com, offers further level-headed commentary of the scandal surrounding the FIA President Max Mosley. In his latest article Saward seems to feel, as I do, that the events of this morning will come to be seen as what he calls a 'tipping point'.

As I have just written, regardless of the ethics and morals of the situation, the key question surrounding the tenability of Mosley's hold on the office of FIA President is this: are these allegations damaging the sport?

Saward notes that 'most people in F1 are nervous about speaking out' and especially about stating that Mosley should resign, just in case he doesn't. I often find myself agreeing with Joe, who is never afraid to offer an opinion, and I can't help but agree with him now when he says that:

'F1 in particular, and motorsport in general, must do everything possible to protect itself. It must deal with the situation with as much dignity as is possible'.

If, he concludes, that means that Mosley must resign, then 'so be it'. As I said in my last post, I've always believed that, regardless of whether or not I have agreed with his actions as President, I have always believed that Mosley had the best interests of the sport at heart. If that is the case, and that sport is beginning to suffer serious damage as a result of this, surely, in his heart of hearts, he must know what the right thing to do is.

Meanwhile, all we can do is wait with baited breath and see what happens next.

No comments: